||203 Court St ~ 1858 ~ Corner of Court Street and Columbia Street
The Kirkwood home is an excellent example of Second Renaissance architecture. Note the Mansard roof and first examples of double-hung windows. Dr. and Mrs. Kirkwood are planning another Garden Tour for the WestUnionFest 127...
History: First owner: Floyd Neely (B 1825 - D ?), son of Matthew and Maria Newton Neely, grandson of John, a Revolutionary War Militiaman from New York, was the second merchant in partnership with M.E. Smith operating a business as Neely & Smith in West Union. Appointed sheriff for 3 or 4 years prior to 1852. High Sheriff in 1860, 1863 (1st under the new state constitution) and also in 1870 and 1872. Married Jane A. (B 1830 - D 3/5/1876) buried in Block House Cemetery in West Union, marked by a large granite stone (VA Family History 1600-1800).
- Annie (b 1858 - d ?)
- Ada (b 1861 - d ?)
- Cora (b 1863 - d ?)
- Grace (b 1869 - d ?)
- Julia b (1871 - d ?)
- Clara (b 1873 - d ?)
(source 1880 Census) 1873 - Published West Union Herald, West Union Publishing Co. (failed 1874)
Floyd Neely was a Colonel in the 18th WV Infantry during the Civil War. Married 2nd time, Wood County, WV to Nannie Smith (b 3/31/1840 in Smithfield VA) of Parkersburg. He was elected to the WV Legislature in 1865, served 2 years as a delegate from Doddridge County. Floyd was the brother of Mansfield Neely, whose son was Matthew Neely, US Senator and Governor of WV.
||300 Court St ~ Corner of Court Street and Columbia Street ~ 1893
West Union's Town Hall - yes, it was once a City Hall ~ Population now is 806. This was the first West Union Bank. The photographer was standing on Columbia Street looking NNW. The building was completed in August 1893 at a cost of $4,284.00. The large brick building one block down on the right side of Columbia Street was the Doddridge County Bank. About 1934 the West Union Bank purchased the Doddridge County Bank building and moved operations there until March 1974 when they built a new facility on E. Main.
The lettering on the side of the building was done by local artist Sheila Sutton